Answer ID 5135 |
Published 08/28/2006 12:00 AM |
Updated 04/16/2010 04:41 PM
For information about the installation of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9, read the tips provided below. For more information, consult the documentation and Help files.
Note: This information is also available in the read me.
Installing Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9
Before installing, modifying or upgrading Dragon NaturallySpeaking:
- Close all open applications.
- Turn off or disable any antivirus software; installation can sometimes trigger a false virus report.
- One must have Administrator rights to install or uninstall Dragon NaturallySpeaking on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
For Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional systems with limited user accounts (users with restricted privileges); if the administrator wants to create a Dragon NaturallySpeaking user for a limited user, the administrator must log on as the limited user. If an administrator creates a Dragon NaturallySpeaking user for a limited user account from an administrator account, the limited user account will not be able to access that user.
- Administrator rights are not required to create a user or use the software after installation. These restrictions also apply for an upgrade installation.
- Coexistence with other Dragon NaturallySpeaking products.
- Coexistence with previous versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
- Only one version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking can be installed on a system.
- Running Version 7 or 8 concurrently with Version 9 is not supported.
- Coexistence with Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK Client Edition:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK Client Edition 9 can be installed on the same machine where Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 is installed. In addition, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 and Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK Client Edition 9 can share vocabularies and users. Only one product can be run at a time. For example, if Dragon NaturallySpeaking is running, none of the SDK Client tools or samples can be run.
- Coexistence with Dragon NaturallySpeaking SDK Client Edition Version 8 is not supported.
Upgrading from a previous version:
One can upgrade from Dragon NaturallySpeaking Versions 7 and 8. During an upgrade, the V9 upgrade procedure will ask to:
- Remove the previous Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation. If chosen not to remove the previous installation, upgrade cannot continue. Removing Version 7 or 8 will not remove Version 7 or 8 speech files and vocabularies.
- Migrate existing user files and vocabularies to Version 9. If choosing not to upgrade user files and vocabularies during the upgrade, it can be performed at a later time by running the Version 9 Upgrade Tool.
The user files from previous versions remain untouched in case it’s decided to later reinstall the previous version.
Once Version 9 is installed, the previous version will no longer be functional.
Edition considerations entered:
Upgrading must to the same edition or higher and to the same language. For example, if starting with Version 8 German/English and upgrade is to Version 9 English only, Version 8 German users will not be upgraded. Upgrading to Version 9 German/English will upgrade both German and English users. After upgrading, other Version 9 languages can be installed.
To install Dragon NaturallySpeaking:
- Insert the first Dragon NaturallySpeaking CD into a CD-ROM drive.
- If the installation does not start automatically, use the Windows Explorer to find and double-click setup.exe on the CD.
- Depending on chosen installation options, prompts may appear asking to insert additional Dragon NaturallySpeaking CDs.
- Provide the customer information, including the serial number supplied with the Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation.
- Choose the installation directory. If there are no previous versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking on the system, the default directory is:
- C:\Program Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9
- If choosing not to install some Dragon NaturallySpeaking components by selecting Custom installation, they can be installed later by running the Setup program again and choosing Modify.
- Install Type Description:
- Typical/Complete: Installs all options and speech files and requires the most disk space.
- Custom: Allows for selecting which options and speech files to install. Customizing the installation options can greatly reduce the disk space required for installation.
- Modifying options (Professional): For the Professional edition, the following settings can be modified during a custom installation. These settings are applied to all users created with this installation of Dragon NaturallySpeaking, including users created from Windows XP limited accounts:
- "Modify the application's settings for all users" displays the Options dialog box at the end of the installation. The Options dialog box allows for changing Dragon NaturallySpeaking's standard behavior, including specifying hot keys, customizing how text is formatted, initial microphone settings, and setting how often user files are backed up.
- "Modify the administrative settings" displays the Administrative settings dialog box at the end of the installation.
- The Administrative settings dialog box allows set up of the Roaming User feature as well as set the backup location of user files and restrict users from modifying commands and vocabularies.
- Click Next to continue.
- The Dragon NaturallySpeaking QuickStart option can be enabled. By enabling QuickStart, Dragon NaturallySpeaking launches at system startup time and adds the Dragon NaturallySpeaking QuickStart icon to the Windows task bar.
- Upgrade only: If upgrading from Version 7 or 8, one can select to upgrade users as part of the Version 9 installation by checking "Upgrade existing speech files to work with this installation." One may be prompted later to re-train some existing users.
- Version 7 or version 8 users can be upgraded at a later time by running the User Upgrade Wizard from the Open User dialog box once the product is installed. For more information, see the online help.
- Installing other languages, dialects and specialized vocabularies.
- To install user files for the other languages or dialects supplied with a given edition, choose "Custom" from the setup screen and click Next. Select the user file for the dialect desired and click Next to continue the installation The user files for each language or dialect contain both spellings and pronunciations specific to that region. For example, users who wish to dictate US English spellings, including users with accents, should install the US (American) English user files.
- Continue following the on-screen instructions. The setup program will install the files for Dragon NaturallySpeaking to the computer.
- When prompted, make sure to register this copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Once registered, Nuance can send notifications of product updates and other offers.
- Select "Check the Internet for program updates after setup completes." This allows Dragon NaturallySpeaking to automatically update over the Internet when updates are available.
- Click Finish to complete the installation. The program may ask to reboot the computer.
Activating Dragon NaturallySpeaking:
The first time launching Dragon NaturallySpeaking, prompts to activate Dragon NaturallySpeaking will appear. If the software is not activated, Dragon NaturallySpeaking will stop working after starting the product fives times.
One must be connected to the Internet to activate Dragon NaturallySpeaking. The activation process sends only the product serial number and a number that uniquely identifies the machine where Dragon NaturallySpeaking is being installed. No personal information is transmitted to Nuance.
To activate the Dragon NaturallySpeaking:
- Start Dragon NaturallySpeaking. This displays the Activation dialog box.
If choosing "Activate Later", one will be prompted to activate each time Dragon NaturallySpeaking starts. If the program is started five times without activating, Dragon NaturallySpeaking will be disabled.
- Click "Activate Now." This displays the Activation Screen.
- Click Activate Automatically. Clicking Activate Automatically automatically activates Dragon NaturallySpeaking and requires no further action.
We strongly recommend that Dragon NaturallySpeaking be activated automatically.
On choosing "Activate Manually", the activation process will direct to the Nuance product activation web site where prompts will be found to complete several steps to activate Dragon NaturallySpeaking.